James has been the firm’s Chairman since November 2016. He advises wealthy private clients, including families with landed estates and growing commercial enterprises.
James acts as a trustee for many of the families he advises and he is also a non-executive director of Henry Boot Plc.
James trained with Saffery Champness, having joined as a graduate, and became a partner in 1997. He was externally recognised as one of ePrivate Client’s 50 Most Influential Private Client Practitioners 2014, and is included as one of the Top 5 Private Client Accountants by Spear’s magazine.
- Advising on succession planning and the mitigation of inheritance tax and capital gains tax liabilities.
- Structuring trusts.
- Advising on the sale of privately owned businesses.
- Advising business owners on exit planning and realisation strategies, particularly in respect of capital taxes.
- Advising clients on HM Revenue & Customs enquiries into financial and fiscal affairs.
- Structuring the affairs of international families coming to the UK.
James is married with three children and lives in Buckinghamshire. He is interested in all sports and, in particular, participates in real tennis and cricket.