Martyn specialises in the Landed Estates sector, working with clients across the UK. His clients range from sole traders and partnerships through to trusts and limited companies. Having previously trained as an auditor with a Big Four firm and spent some time working in industry, he is able to bring a commercial approach to supporting what are often very traditional businesses.
As well as overseeing accounts and tax compliance, Martyn assists clients with budgeting and forecasting and advises on new investment projects and technical tax issues.
Martyn is secretary of the firm’s national Landed Estates Practice Group, in which he is responsible for ensuring the firm is up to date on current farming issues and runs national training courses for trainees.
A regular contributor to the firm’s client publications, Rural Business and Landed Estates Annual Review, Martyn also writes articles for external publications and regularly presents on topical taxation matters.
- Preparing detailed financial budgets and 5 yearly forecasts for clients across all businesses and entities.
- Preparing cash flow projections to determine borrowing requirements.
- Guiding clients on the handover of estates to the next generation.
- Advising on the tax implications of renewable energy projects and how to make best use of capital allowances.
- Assessing the suitability of Life Insurance cover.
- Advising on the VAT implications of new construction projects.
- Assisting trustees with income and capital distributions, explaining the tax implications, reliefs available, and ensuring the most tax efficient approach.
Martyn has two young daughters and lives in Cheshire. Originally from Northumberland, Martyn is an avid fan of Newcastle United football club and enjoys playing guitar when his children and home renovations are not keeping him busy.