Working as part of the Financial Control team, you will provide support and cover for the Finance department’s office accounting function (supporting all UK offices).
The Finance Control Assistant Accountant role is suited to someone who has already started their career within a Finance department and has started their formal accounting qualifications.
The Finance department consists of 16 Finance professionals, operating within three pillars – Financial Control, Financial Operations and Financial Planning and Analysis, offering a friendly and supportive working environment.
Working under the day-to-day supervision of the Financial Control Manager, the Financial Control team provide accounting services to the business, including good governance, and monitoring risk and controls within the Finance Department.
Duties and responsibilities
- Balance sheet reconciliations
- VAT sales invoice checking on a monthly basis
- Raising sundry invoices in the finance system
- Liaising with HR team and other teams to obtain missing invoices for salary related Balance sheet reconciliations
- Preparation of various journals for posting with supporting documentation, including IT recharges, staff and Partner subscriptions, monthly apprenticeship levy co investment and Property accruals
- Assisting and reviewing the coding of purchase ledger invoices before posting to purchase ledger
- Reviewing daily manual payments for completeness and appropriate signatories adhering to signatory approval limits
- Maintain and review accrual and prepayments schedules plus supporting information
- Ensure supporting documentation is maintained for Fixed Asset additions
- Distributing general ledger reports monthly to cost Centre owners
- Ensuring that items coded to Partner car expenses are thoroughly reviewed
- Analysis of management information ad-hoc. for e.g. assistance with completing ONS and various surveys
- Reconciliation of debtors integration between Finance system (Nav) and PMS (Advance) twice monthly
- Ongoing monitoring of risk and controls within the Finance department and reporting any breaches to the Head of Financial Control
- Provide support and cover for the Financial control team members and working closely with Financial Operations and Financial Planning and Analysis teams.
Candidates must have started their professional qualifications ACCA/CIMA or ICAEW and have a high level of computer literacy (Word and Excel, or equivalent), with a desire to develop a career in an accounting finance role within a busy Finance department of a professional services organisation. The successful candidate should have excellent attention to detail and be well organised, with a flexible, enthusiastic attitude to work and a strong ability to learn through practical experience.
Professional services firm experience in finance for an LLP is highly advantageous.
- 35-hour working week with flexibility around the core hours of 10am-4pm
- Paid overtime or time off in lieu (pre-approved and only where required)
- Working from home allowance of £25 a month
- Eligibility for the firm’s Profit-Sharing Plan that runs from October to September each year. The scheme enables staff to share in the profits of the firm. Payment is usually c£1,000 for the full year. Paid in December
- Salary reviews annually in October
- Twenty days annual leave with an additional day added after each years’ service
- In addition, under the flexible benefits programme, employees are entitled to buy or sell up to five days (35 hours) holiday a year, subject to staff partner approval.
- Six-month probationary period.
- Life assurance cover of four times salary,
- Contributory pension scheme (The firm will contribute 4% of salary on a matched basis with employee from their date of joining)
- Access to a number of additional benefits with preferential rates under the flexible benefit programme, health cash plans, health screening/GP support, critical illness cover, dental and travel insurance, Techscheme, Cyclescheme, Gymflex and a Workplace ISA.