Saffery Champness Ireland are currently looking to further grow their team and have a vacancy for a Tax Director/Partner on a full-time basis.
Saffery Champness are one of the leading firms within Nexia International, the 8th largest global accounting network, as measured by fee income. Saffery Champness are number 12 in the UK rankings. We launched our Irish offering in 2019 with a view to attaining a Top 20 presence in Ireland by 2024. Since 2019, we have doubled our staff headcount, partner headcount (to 2), our turnover and profits.
The firm’s Film and TV department are the market leaders in this sector in both Ireland and the UK. The UK and Irish sector is the largest production hub outside of Los Angeles with countless LA companies and studios now choosing the UK and Ireland to produce their content. This sector has doubled in size in Ireland in the last three years and is set to double again in the next two years.
We offer a dynamic environment with huge scope for professional and personal development as the firm grows. The ideal candidate will be a commercially focused, motivated and ambitious individual looking for a challenge. We have experienced phenomenal growth across the entire Irish business, especially our tax advisory offering. We expect further steady growth in non-film/TV related client advisory work and are looking for a candidate to lead the general tax practice domestically and internationally, across all sectors and taxes, recruiting and building a team, building out the existing client base and leading a tax advisory business separate to our film/tv finance offering.
The Dublin tax department is looking for a Tax Director/Partner to lead and to help grow the tax group, advising the firm’s substantial client-base, leveraging our considerable international network through Nexia, taking ownership and leading the tax business line. The tax group is currently headed up by John Gleeson, a tax partner with over 25 years’ experience advising on a wide range of tax issues. He is also the head of the Irish firm and acknowledged as a leading expert on film and tv financing globally. John needs to focus on the wider growth of the Irish firm and the continued increase in film/tv finance opportunities and therefore, needs a fellow tax partner (envisaging a promotion from Director to Partner in the short term) to take ownership and lead the growth of the firm’s tax offering.
The substantial growth of the firm’s tax offering provides the opportunity for a Tax Director/Partner to support existing clients and to capitalise on new opportunities to deliver additional high-quality services. At present, 80% of tax work is consulting with 20% compliance handled by a tax AM with the support of trainees and seniors.
The firm’s clients include all the major Hollywood Film Studios, many leading independent film production companies, and some of the largest Television Production companies in Ireland, the UK and the USA.
We are also experiencing considerable growth in tax consulting and compliance across many other sectors. The role involves but is not limited to the following;
- Delivering high quality tax advisory services to clients on a wide range of issues including;
- global mobility and employment tax issues,
- inbound/outbound corporate tax planning,
- IP migration and exploitation,
- cross border VAT issues,
- wealth planning.
- Managing the corporation tax affairs of companies and groups
- Managing the personal tax affairs of our income tax client base
- Advising clients on the conditions of qualifying for Film and Television and Gaming Tax Credit claims
- Working closely with the other partners on all aspects of staff and client engagement
- Building and managing a team of tax professionals
- Leading the tax department with responsibility for further growth of the business
The Dublin Office currently has 16 staff members with 5 further roles to be recruited this year. You will have support from current Partners, Managers and Assistant Managers, alongside Seniors, Semi-Seniors and Trainees.
- The ideal candidate will be a committed and experienced tax adviser with a variety of experience, commercially focussed and with ambition to operate at partner level in the immediate/short/medium term
- Excellent technical, communication and organisational skills a prerequisite
- Experience of working with clients in the creative sector would be an advantage, though not essential provided the candidate had a track-record of delivering a high standard of client service and dealing with complex technical work
- A natural team player is essential, with a positive and enthusiastic attitude
- Candidates should be educated to at least degree level, and will have obtained a relevant professional qualification (AITI/ACA/ACCA)
- Previous experience at Director level in a Top 20 firm looking to advance their career
- 35-hour working week with flexibility around the core hours of 10am-4pm
- Working from home allowance of €27 a month.
- Car allowance of €6,500
- Eligibility for the firm’s Profit-Sharing Plan that runs from October to September each year. The scheme enables staff to share in the profits of the firm. Payment is usually c€1,000 for the full year. Paid in December.
- Eligibility for the discretionary bonus scheme. This is based on both individual performance and firm performance.
- Twenty-seven days annual leave. This increases in line with length of service. On 1 January, after 5 years’ service, the entitlement will be increased by 7 hours
- In addition, under the flexible benefits programme, employees are entitled to buy or sell up to five days (35 hours) holiday a year, subject to staff partner approval.
- Six-month probationary period.
- Life assurance cover of four times salary,
- Private Medical – entitled to join on successful completion of probationary period
- Contributory pension scheme (The firm will contribute 5% of salary on a matched basis with employee from their date of joining)
- Access to several additional benefits with preferential rates under the flexible benefit programme, health cash plans, health screening/GP support, critical illness cover, dental and travel insurance among many more.