An opportunity has arisen for a Technical and Training Manager to join our busy Technical Team in London.
This newly-created role will support the delivery of high quality training at all levels from trainee to partner.
Overall, we can offer a varied and challenging workload and the potential for progression for the right candidate. We require someone who will be able to make an instant contribution with respect to the technical and training basics but who also has the potential to take ownership of their own areas if their skills are proven.
The successful applicant will be expected to undertake the following activities within the Technical & Training Manager role:
- Assist in the coordination of a firmwide technical training programme to both qualified and trainee members of staff ensuring consistency across offices
- Monitoring of CPD for qualified members of audit and accounts staff and liaison with CPD provider
- Liaising with the Learning and Development team to coordinate and facilitate training
- Research of messages for firmwide distribution
- Preparing audit and financial reporting technical training material for both the trainee development and CPD programmes
- Delivery of training material and guidance where required (face to face and online)
- Sourcing of specialist training where required
- Support the co-ordination and delivery of director/RI drop in sessions
- If required, support the audit and accounts technical query helpdesk providing advice to client teams across UK GAAP, IFRS and audit
- Support, where required, national events such as national audit conference
Knowledge base – essential
- Knowledge of and experience of UK GAAP and IFRS
- Auditing standards and other related guidance
- The FRC Ethical Standard
- Companies Act 2006
- Excellent IT skills in particular Excel, Word and PowerPoint
Knowledge base – desirable
- Listed company reporting requirements
- Knowledge of LLPs, Charities and Pension schemes
- Familiar with accounts and audit software (CCH preferably)
Skill base – essential
- Interacting confidently with senior personnel including Partners across the whole firm
- Training and presenting skills – desire to present technical training material to Partners and staff across the whole firm
- Technical writing skills – preparation of technical training material and technical briefings
- Problem solving particularly in relation to the application of standards to issues
- Risk awareness and strength to deliver difficult messages where necessary
- Ability to manage concurrent assignments independently
Skill base – desirable
- Training and presenting skills – experience of delivering technical training material
The Technical Department is responsible for audit and accounts technical advisory, technical communication, development of firm’s policies on technical matters, audit quality monitoring and maintaining the firm’s technical resources. It is increasingly involved in organizing, preparing and delivering training to audit teams across the firm and hence the need has arisen to expand.
We offer services in audit and accounting, tax and VAT advice, business advisory, corporate finance, family office services, international tax service, trust formation and administration and outsourcing and cloud accounting. We act for businesses and individuals both in the UK and internationally. Our staff work regularly and closely with their colleagues in our regional offices to provide a seamless service to clients, wherever they are located.
Our London office is home to over 400 partners and staff.
The successful applicant will be a confident, enthusiastic self-starter with the experience and desire to play an important role in a technical department that fully meets the needs of a mid-tier firm, predominantly based in the UK.
The successful candidate will be outgoing with excellent interpersonal and organisational skills. The position will require an extremely high level of ability, attention to detail and commitment and therefore candidates should be self-motivated, display a positive approach to work and have the drive and ability to get things done.
In addition, they should possess the confidence and professionalism to establish credibility at all levels, be commercially minded and have a clear perception of the firm’s technical requirements and also of client requirements.
Education and experience
Applicants should ideally be ACA/ACCA qualified with a good exam record and relevant experience.
The successful applicant will also be required to present training material to Partners and staff and therefore experience in giving presentations is desirable.
Candidates are expected to have excellent IT skills.
Reward & Benefits
- A 35-hour working week with flexibility around the core hours of 10am-4pm
Agile working policy giving you the option to work from home for up to 3 days per week.
- 25 days annual leave. After 5 years’ service, the entitlement will be increased by 1 day.
- In addition, employees are entitled to buy or sell up to 5 days holiday a year
- Contributory pension scheme (The firm will contribute 5% of salary on a matched basis with employee from their date of joining)
- Life assurance cover of 4 x annual salary,
- Working from home allowance of £25 a month.
- Company car as per Managers’ Car Scheme. May opt for a company car to the value to £15,100 by sacrificing £3,611 per annum of salary. (Pro-rata for lower vehicle cost).
- Eligibility for the firm’s Profit-Sharing Plan that runs from October to September each year. The scheme enables staff to share in the profits of the firm. Payment is usually c£1,000. Paid in December.
- New client referral scheme. Members of staff introducing a new client to the firm, have the potential to receive a referral payment of up to 10% of the first year’s total fees.
- Eligibility for the discretionary bonus scheme. This is based on both individual performance and firm performance.
- Private Medical – entitled to join on successful completion of probationary period
- Access to a number of additional benefits with preferential rates under the flexible benefit programme, health cash plans, health screening/GP support, critical illness cover, dental and travel insurance, Techscheme, Cyclescheme, Gymflex and a Workplace ISA.
- Paid travel expenses when working at offices other than your contracted office.
- Saffery is committed to being a fully inclusive employer and have a huge focus on ED&I. Upon joining the firm, you will have the opportunity to join a number of people network groups as well as be a part of the growing ED&I network.