Darren has over 20 years of experience working with clients in the media sectors. As well as assisting companies with auditing and compliance matters, Darren has particular expertise in intellectual property management, structuring and financial modelling.
Darren acts for film and television production companies, commissioning producers, rights owners, and other corporate entities which operate in the film and television industries, such as financiers, VFX and post production houses.
Darren provides auditing and accounting services, as well as specialist advice, including intellectual property valuations and investigations, structuring of productions, and advice on tax incentives for the creative industries.
- Valuation of intellectual property rights, including: valuation for accounting purposes of film distribution rights for film investment vehicles including DVD/VOD, theatrical rights and television; valuation of a portfolio of film related rights for specific territories for an individual for the purposes of a divorce settlement; and valuation of participations in film revenues for an equity investor.
- Dealing with royalty and other contractual investigations, including: royalty audit of a major record label in respect of a producer recording rights; royalty audits of record labels on behalf of the MCPS in respect of mechanical royalties; and royalty audit of a major publishing company on behalf of a composer.
- Structuring of a music group involved in recording, publishing, merchandising and touring for investors.
- Structuring of a film production, financing and distribution division on behalf of an overseas corporation.
- Litigation support work on behalf of an operator of film investment schemes.
In keeping with his professional expertise, outside of work Darren is an avid watcher of films and enjoys attending live music events.