Julian is head of the firm’s Entrepreneurs Group. He advises a range of entrepreneurial and commercial clients, as well as individuals in the media and entertainment sector.
Julian is a highly experienced tax accountant, having qualified as an Inspector of Taxes with HM Revenue & Customs. He then worked within the Special Compliance Office and the Foreign Entertainers Unit, introducing the UK’s Artist Withholding Tax. He has worked within the entertainment sector for 32 years and has represented some of the world’s most high-profile musicians and sports stars.
In addition, he has significant experience representing entrepreneurs and owner-managed businesses. He has a broad and diverse practice and his work ranges from one-off transactional matters to long-term, ongoing tax advice.
Julian joined Saffery Champness in 2011 from RSM Tenon, where he spent over 20 years as head of RSM Tenon Media and also the Managing Director of the firm’s London office.
He has written articles for Taxation, The Tax Journal and various journals in the music and sport industries. He has also lectured for IBC – Performers Tax & Finance and Network CPD Ltd – Taxation of Endorsement Income.
- Jointly preparing the report on the Taxation of Endorsement Income for AELTC, The PGA European Tour, The London Marathon, The ATP World Tour, The England & Wales Cricket Board, Fast Track Sales (on behalf of UK Athletics), The Central Council of Physical Recreation.
- Advising on Central Withholding Agreements for two world title fights in New York and Las Vegas.
- Enabling reconciliation of profit participation at major sports events.
- Providing tax planning for a major UK recording artist’s world tour.
- Assisting with the settlement of an image rights dispute with HM Revenue & Customs.
- Attending meetings with the Foreign Entertainers Unit regarding the taxation of endorsement income.
- Representing a high-profile sportsperson in his tax appeal.
Julian lives in Hertfordshire and is married with three children. Outside work Julian enjoys spending time with his family, socialising, entertaining and, perhaps not surprisingly, has an interest in music and sport.