Karen is a lead partner in the High Wycombe office and has a wide range of experience in advising families and family businesses both in the agricultural and commercial sectors, as well as charities and not-for-profit organisations.
Her time is split between commercial and not-for-profit sector assignments, overseeing audits and assisting clients in areas such as governance, systems and controls and reporting requirements.
When acting for high net worth individuals, she often becomes involved as adviser or personal trustee to the senior and junior family members and any family trusts. Karen also acts as Power of Attorney for several individuals.
Karen’s portfolio of clients currently comprises more than 30 charities and not-for-profit organisations. In addition to this, she acts for a number of large fundraising charities several with net assets of over £20 million.
Karen provides pro-active tax and accountancy solutions to her owner-managed client base, which largely includes small to medium sized businesses which have significant owners’ involvement and professional partnerships.
Karen trained with the firm in London and on relocating to the High Wycombe office, she became a partner in 1989.
Additionally, Karen lectures to event organisers and individuals on accounts and tax issues affecting the equestrian sector.
- Setting up a financial reporting system and budget monitoring system for a charity with a large property portfolio.
- Preparing a tax enquiry into the capital allowance claims on a large agricultural estate.
- Undertaking a tax enquiry into whether equestrian activities are hobby farming or commercial activities.
- Investigating grant claims in respect of a biomass boiler for an agricultural estate.
- Implementing the re-organisation of a property development group to maximise efficiency for tax and commercial purposes.
- Preparing a report under Section 38 of the Charities Act 1993, in respect to the granting of a bank loan for property development for a charity.
Karen is very involved in equestrian activities outside work; she owns four horses which compete in affiliated eventing, show jumping and dressage. She is Hon Treasurer to the Horse Trials Support Group, organiser of British Eventing Salperton Park Horse Trials and on the committee of Blenheim International Horse Trials.