Mike is a tax partner with more than 20 years’ experience advising wealthy individuals, entrepreneurs and their businesses across a wide range of industry sectors, including professional partnerships, on tax planning and wider financial matters.
A good deal of Mike’s work focuses on corporate finance and transaction advisory work.
Mike began his career and qualified with a ‘Big 4’ accountancy firm and most recently was a tax partner and head of the North West tax practice of a top 10 firm. He joined Saffery Champness in October 2013.
Mike is a regular speaker at seminars and presentations for clients and contacts.
Listen to Private Wealth Podcasts which Mike took part in.
- Advising on the tax and accounting issues arising in a number of vendor initiated management buy-outs, including a major regional estate agency and a national managed print services company, to give a partial exit to existing shareholders and a larger equity stake for new management teams.
- Tax advice to the management team and tax due diligence on a >£20 million management buy-out of a wine producer, importer and distributor.
- Providing tax advice to the shareholders of an industrial coatings business on the sale of their shares to a Chinese buyer.
- Advising on the tax and accounting issues arising from the potential incorporation of a successful niche law firm.
- Advice on the tax implications of the sale of part of a regional retail business to a national supermarket chain.
- Advising on the implementation of share incentive schemes, including Enterprise Management Incentives, for various companies, including a national clothing retailer.
Mike is married with two children and lives in Cheshire. A keen cricket follower, Mike’s more recent involvement has been as a junior coach and committee member at his local club, as well as a (very occasional) player.