Pete is head of the firm’s Sports & Entertainment Group and advises a range of corporate and individual clients, primarily in the sports and entertainment sector.
His major clients include both international and national governing bodies of sport, clubs, major venues, rights holders, other sports businesses and individuals. Pete now advises over 70 Premier League footballers on all aspects of their tax affairs.
He also provides tax advice to companies and individuals across the wider entertainment sector, including film, television, music and e-sports.
In addition, Pete also has a strong client base in the entrepreneurial and owner-managed business space, focusing on providing commercially driven tax-efficient solutions in this sector.
Pete spent over 10 years at Deloitte, initially as a general corporate tax specialist in Manchester before moving to London in 2005 to lead the tax side of Deloitte’s Sports Business Group, moving to Saffery Champness in 2011. In 2012 Pete was listed in the Accountancy Age Top 35 under 35, and in 2015 was voted into Taxation Magazine’s Top 40 under 40.
Pete regularly speaks at industry conferences about the key taxation issues in sport, as well as appearing in all forms of media. He is well known as a trusted adviser to major stakeholders across the sports industry.
- Many years’ experience of working with Premier League clubs, rights agencies, players and agents in relation to all aspects of image rights structuring and the benefit-in-kind implications of agents’ fees.
- Preparing a detailed report on the taxation of endorsement income for a number of influential stakeholders and governing bodies of sport, and lobbying government for changes, which were implemented in the 2012 Finance Act.
- Well known at the Premier League, regularly speaking to the 20 clubs on current tax issues at finance meetings.
- Tax planning and advice around a number of major events coming to the UK over the last 10 years.
- A number of expert witness assignments as a tax specialist in the sports industry.
- Providing tax advice on a host of recent corporate transactions within the football and wider sports sector.
Pete lives in South London and is married with three young children. He enjoys spending time with family and friends. He watches most sports, and still enjoys playing football, cricket and tennis. He has recently finished writing a fictional novel in his spare time.