Sally is a member of the firm’s national Landed Estates Practice and acts for a number of landed estates, advising owners of rural businesses on strategic matters and tax planning involving all financial and business aspects. Her client base includes estates with wide-ranging agricultural, property and commercial interests, including charitable and not-for-profit enterprises. She also has considerable experience of supporting multi-generational businesses to enable them to develop and grow whilst at the same time dealing with, often complex, succession issues. This portfolio requires a combination of a high level of trust and taxation knowledge as well as key commercial and audit skills.
Sally is head of the charities and not-for-profit team in Harrogate and works with a variety of clients, including grant-making foundations, hospices, theatres and museums. Sally has a particular specialism in education and works with some of the leading independent schools and academies in the North of England. Her assignments include assisting clients in areas such as governance, business re-structuring, systems and controls, budgeting and forecasting as well as financial reporting and compliance requirements.
Sally enjoys providing discreet, bespoke advice to her clients in a professional and straightforward way. She lectures regularly on rural business matters and on topical issues within the charity sector.
Sally joined Saffery Champness in 2005 from a Big 4 firm in Leeds, where she had been working in the corporate finance department.
- Restructuring an estate to maximise the availability of Inheritance Tax Reliefs.
- Tax planning work to minimise Capital Gains Tax on land with development potential.
- Detailed control reviews on areas of specific concern to trustees, including a review of the control procedures in operation over a £25m capital project at a Yorkshire charity.
- Advice on structuring trading activities for charities.
- Providing trustee training on responsibilities and risk management.
- Valuations for businesses as well as commenting on valuations already supplied.
- Various due diligence assignments including the merger of two independent schools.
- Member of audit committee in the not for profit sector.
Sally lives in Leeds with her husband and two children. She enjoys skiing, tennis and walking in the Yorkshire Dales.