Simon provides a wide variety of tax advisory services to high net worth individuals, trustees and businesses.
Simon’s specialisms include succession planning, shareholder transactions, UK and overseas trusts, property, and the taxation of cryptoassets.
Simon is an ICAS Chartered Accountant and Tax Professional and is a member of several internal technical groups including the Cryptoasset Specialists Group, the Land and Rural Property Group, and the Property Forum. He enjoys public speaking and has presented at many technical sessions on specific areas of tax.
Simon joined Saffery in July 2021, having previously worked at a Big 4 firm.
Examples of Simon’s tax advisory work include:
- Providing an asset summary and inheritance tax analysis for a high net worth individual, with recommendations for succession planning options and subsequent implementation support,
- Assessing the availability of inheritance tax business property relief for a landed estate,
- Structuring the acquisition of a manor house and farm,
- Calculating relevant income and stockpiled gains pools for a complex overseas trust structure,
- Presenting options for restructuring shareholdings in a family business, including profit extraction and exit routes for certain shareholders,
- Advising a non-fungible token (NFT) creator about the UK tax implications of their activities,
- Preparing a UK capital gains tax independent witness statement for a divorce case.
In his spare time Simon enjoys playing niche sports such as flag American football, ultimate frisbee and table tennis. He also enjoys pub quizzes, fishing and relaxing at home with his wife and dog.