Filmmaking is a complex business, whichever way you look at it. First there is the idea, then writing the script, then the financing, casting, crew, prep, shoot and post-production… the list seems to go on for ever. Even experienced professionals struggle to understand how all the various parts of the movie business fit together.
We pride ourselves on our depth of knowledge of how the film industry works – knowledge that enables us to provide our clients with an unrivalled level of advice across every part of the movie industry.
Advising individuals and businesses across the whole sector, including producers and exhibitors, cast and crew, post production houses, financiers and distributors, we apply passion, knowledge and expertise to fulfil our clients’ demands.
In the highly complex world of film production finances, our team has worked on Hollywood blockbusters, independent films, art house titles and low and micro-budget features. Films we have worked on include The Dark Knight Rises, Prometheus, Skyfall, The Sweeney and The Scapegoat.
Away from production, we provide a wide range of audit and accountancy advice to financiers, distributors, studios and companies in the post-production sector along with advice on employment tax issues and tax planning opportunities.
How our experts can help you
Our services include:
- Structuring advice for filmmakers on co-productions and Schedule 1 British qualifying films.
- Helping maximise the UK Film Tax Relief available to British qualifying films.
- Assistance with monitoring, compliance and liaison with the British Film Institute and HM Revenue & Customs.
- Auditor’s and accountant’s reports, and letters of comfort to financiers.
- Distribution and film royalty audits.
- Advice on alternative sources of funding, including equity, soft money and bank gap for film finances.
- Assistance with government sponsored incentives such as the Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) and its application to film.
- Tax advice regarding corporate structures, both in the UK and overseas.
- Guidance on tax and social security-efficient filming in the UK and overseas.
- Advice on withholding tax for film performers in the UK and overseas.
- VAT advice, including assistance with registration, company set-up and administration.
- Statutory annual accounts, auditing and corporation tax return filing.
- Business risk services and corporate governance.
- Corporate finance services, including disposals, mergers and acquisitions, management buy-outs, management buy-ins, reporting accountant, valuations, operations and post-deal services, private equity and funding, due diligence, and flotations and initial public offerings.
- Tax services, including corporate tax, VAT and employer solutions.