We are seeking an accounts and outsourcing trainee to work in our Manchester office dealing predominantly with owner managed businesses and clients in the sports and entertainment sector.
This is a client facing, fast paced role which includes advisory elements and often deals with high profile clients.
The work is varied and ranges from typical year end compliance through to ad-hoc advisory and project work. The client base is a mix of sole traders, partnerships, limited companies, limited liability partnerships, trusts and smaller private charities.
The role is permanent and would suit a school leaver/graduate or AAT/ACCA/ACA part-qualified accountant who is seeking to develop knowledge of accounts, corporation tax compliance, outsourcing and VAT, and take it to the next level by building on their advisory and client management.
The candidate would be responsible for working on a variety of clients’ affairs, and the role would include (but is not limited to) the following key elements, within agreed deadlines:
- Preparation of year-end financial statements
- Responsibility for annual filing requirements at Companies House
- Preparation and submission of VAT returns
- Taking ownership of ad-hoc advisory projects
- Work planning and annual timetabling
- Liaison with the tax team
- Building and maintaining client relationships
Experience of preparing year end accounts using accounts production software such as CCH or an equivalent would be an advantage, but not required. Company secretarial experience would be desirable but is not essential.
The role reports to the accounts and outsourcing manager and is office based, however the firm has an agile working policy that allows for flexibility on this.
The accounts and outsourcing department have experienced high growth in recent years and offer an exciting variety of work with great development opportunities.
The Manchester office has experienced significant growth in recent years and as a result of that growth, recently relocated to a new, purpose designed office on John Dalton Street. The team is comprised of a variety of departments and specialists who provide a wide range of services both locally and nationally.
The Manchester office has 4 partners and over 50 staff, and continues to grow.
The candidate will have strong numeracy and analytical skills, along with the ability to learn quickly. A good knowledge of Excel and Word is essential. Understanding of other accounting systems would be helpful, but is not an essential requirement.
The ideal candidate should be hard-working, show initiative and be self-motivated, with the ability to organise their own workload. They should also demonstrate the ability to cope with a number of competing deadlines. They will display a flexible, professional approach and have the confidence and ability to communicate effectively with managers, partners and clients. They will also be a natural team player with a positive and enthusiastic attitude and excellent eye for detail.
The candidate should be educated to at least A level standard (or equivalent), with a minimum of 3 A levels (or equivalent) at grades A to C. No minimum experience is required for the role.
- 35-hour working week with flexibility around the core hours of 10am-4pm
- Paid overtime or time off in lieu (pre-approved and only where required).
- Working from home allowance of £25 a month.
- Eligibility for the firm’s Profit-Sharing Plan that runs from October to September each year. The scheme enables staff to share in the profits of the firm. Payment is usually c£1,000 for the full year. Paid in December.
- Salary reviews annually in October.
- Twenty days annual leave with an additional day added after each years’ service.
- In addition, under the flexible benefits programme, employees are entitled to buy or sell up to five days (35 hours) holiday a year, subject to staff partner approval.
- Six-month probationary period.
- Life assurance cover of four times salary,
- Private Medical – Staff have access to a private medical scheme through the flexible benefits programme.
- Contributory pension scheme (The firm will contribute 4% of salary on a matched basis with employee from their date of joining)
- Access to a number of additional benefits with preferential rates under the flexible benefit programme, health cash plans, health screening/GP support, critical illness cover, dental and travel insurance, Techscheme, Cyclescheme, Gymflex and a Workplace ISA.