Assistant Manager – Accounts – Edinburgh
To become part of the team providing a wide range of accounting and advisory services to our clients. We are able to offer varied and interesting work involving client contact with the people who make the decisions. An Accounts Assistant Manager in the Edinburgh office will have responsibility for managing a wide portfolio of clients that operate in a range of sectors, reporting directly to the Partners and Senior Managers. The position would involve accounts preparation work, as well as one-off assignments and special work, as required. Responsibilities will include:
- Managing the accounts preparation process with a focus on rural businesses and some trusts
- Managing and monitoring progress of work and budgets
- Ensuring all work is delivered on time and to a high standard
- Dealing with client budgets and cashflows including financial KPIs for some clients
- Supervising and coaching qualified staff and trainees
- Liaison with tax team
- Opportunities to work on special assignments and projects
We provide regular technical training and soft skills development to help support your development and progression.
We are a leading firm of Chartered Accountants and business advisers with offices in Edinburgh. Our wide portfolio of clients has expanded to include all areas of business, with a particular emphasis on private clients, estate and farm businesses, charities, property businesses and a wide range of owner-managed businesses across varied sectors.
Our Edinburgh team provide tailor made services, including accounting, audit and assurance, tax, corporate finance and business advisory, for all aspects of our clients’ lives. We advise on both their personal and business affairs, as well as assisting at all phases of wealth generation, preservation and succession.
Our Edinburgh office is based in Edinburgh Quay, within walking distance of the city centre.
Corporate staff and Partners advise businesses ranging from large multi-national corporations and landed estates to small family companies, many of which are owned by wealthy individuals. In addition to commercial companies in service/manufacturing industries, we also deal with professional partnerships, financial service companies, sports and entertainment businesses, entrepreneur’s charities and schools. The aim is to provide outstanding service in a professional and efficient manner tailored to give the client the benefit of exceptional advice and maximum added value.
The ideal candidate should be hard working, show initiative and be self-motivated, with the ability to organise and manage their own workload. You will also have experience working with Trusts and/or Landed Estates.
They should also demonstrate the ability to cope with some repetitive tasks. They should display a flexible, professional approach and have the confidence and ability to communicate effectively with partners and clients. They will be a natural team player with a positive and enthusiastic attitude and an excellent eye for detail.
Education and experience
Applicants will ideally be either ICAS/ACCA/ACA or equivalent qualified, with good pass rates. Lower qualifications but with relevant experience would also be considered. Professional training experience should have been broad based with exposure to a good range of clients both in size and sector in general practice. Ability to use Excel and Word is essential and knowledge of Xero, Key Prime Sage, as well as Viztopia CCH Accounts Production and CCH Audit Automation advantageous.
We are able to offer a dynamic and varied workload
- A 35-hour working week with flexibility around the core hours of 10am-4p
- Agile working policy giving you the option to work from home for up to 3 days per week.
- 25 days annual leave. After 5 years’ service, the entitlement will be increased by 1 day.
- In addition, employees are entitled to buy or sell up to 5 days holiday a year
- Eligibility for the discretionary bonus scheme. This is based on both individual performance and firm performance.
- Contributory pension scheme (The firm will contribute 5% of salary on a matched basis with employee from their date of joining)
- Life assurance cover of 4 x annual salary,
- Working from home allowance of £25 a month.
- Eligibility for the firm’s Profit-Sharing Plan that runs from October to September each year. The scheme enables staff to share in the profits of the firm. Payment is usually c£1,000. Paid in December.
- Employee referral scheme. Assistant Manager level and below, including support staff, will attract a referral reward of £5,000, Manager level or above, will attract a referral reward of £10,000.
- New client referral scheme. Members of staff introducing a new client to the firm, have the potential to receive a referral payment of up to 10% of the first year’s total fees.
- Staff have access to health assessments, cancer screenings and health cash plans through the flexible benefits programme.
- Access to a number of additional benefits with preferential rates under the flexible benefit programme, health cash plans, health screening/GP support, critical illness cover, dental and travel insurance, Techscheme, Cyclescheme, Gymflex and a Workplace ISA.
- Paid travel expenses when working at offices other than your contracted office.
- Saffery Champness is committed to being a fully inclusive employer and have a huge focus on ED&I. Upon joining the firm, you will have the opportunity to join a number of people network groups as well as be a part of the growing ED&I network.