The National Tax team, which provides policy, technical and risk management support to Saffery’s tax practice, are looking for a manager or high-performing assistant manager to join their team to build our capability around tax technology. The role would suit someone with previous experience in the area or a tax-qualified individual looking to build their technology skills. This role can be based from any of our nine UK offices.
It will involve:
- Building and maintaining tax tools for internal use;
- Helping roll out a new knowledgebase system for tax and then the wider firm;
- Creating and updating technical and best practice content for our internal tax knowledgebase;
- Working with the business to extend the use of technology throughout our tax offering, including increasing digitisation and automation;
- Identifying and implementing ways in which we can better leverage the technology we already have available, including by improving end-user experience;
- Collaborating with the IT team to identify new technologies to support the tax practice;
- Help create and roll out tax technology-focused learning, and provide training to tax users on key technologies
- Reviewing and updating content on the intranet and on the tax pages of saffery.com;
- Helping plan, prepare and deliver the annual tax conference;
- Helping with our response to the Budget and other key fiscal announcements;
- Attending new joiner inductions and office visits as a member of the National Tax team; and helping plan and deliver other tax technical training, including on significant changes in legislation.
- There will also be scope to be involved in the team’s other activities including risk management and quality control, drafting internal news and client briefings and our responses to tax policy consultations.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated and able to produce high quality work without close supervision. They will also require the following:
- Tax technical background (CTA or equivalent, or ATT or equivalent with previous tax technology experience), with the ability to pick up and understand issues from across a range of taxes quickly;
- Strong technology skills, including around the Office suite, Microsoft 365 and ideally MS SharePoint;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to express complex issues simply and to act as an effective interface between IT and tax professionals;
- Good understanding of the information tax professionals and clients want to be able to access, with the ability to apply this to technology to create an excellent user experience;
- Passion for sharing knowledge and improving the processes and technologies that help people to do so;
- Strong organisational skills and a desire to take ownership of their work;
- Strong networking skills and the ability to build relationships both virtually and in person;
- Ability to work with those at all grades across the firm, including the ability to challenge partners/directors where required.
The firm will support the successful candidate to build appropriate technology and related skills, including via the CIOT’s Diploma in Tax Technology (DITT) qualification.
Reward & Benefits
- A 35-hour working week with flexibility around the core hours of 10am-4pm
- Agile working policy giving you the option to work from home for up to 3 days per week.
- 25 days annual leave. After 5 years’ service, the entitlement will be increased by 1 day.
- In addition, employees are entitled to buy or sell up to 5 days holiday a year
- Contributory pension scheme (The firm will contribute 5% of salary on a matched basis with employee from their date of joining)
- Life assurance cover of 4 x annual salary,
- Working from home allowance of £25 a month.
- Eligibility for the firm’s Profit-Sharing Plan that runs from October to September each year. The scheme enables staff to share in the profits of the firm. Payment is usually c£1,000. Paid in December.
- New client referral scheme. Members of staff introducing a new client to the firm, have the potential to receive a referral payment of up to 10% of the first year’s total fees.
- Eligibility for the discretionary bonus scheme. This is based on both individual performance and firm performance.
- Access to a number of additional benefits with preferential rates under the flexible benefit programme, health cash plans, health screening/GP support, critical illness cover, dental and travel insurance, Techscheme, Cyclescheme, Gymflex and a Workplace ISA.
- Paid travel expenses when working at offices other than your contracted office.
- Saffery is committed to being a fully inclusive employer and have a huge focus on ED&I. Upon joining the firm, you will have the opportunity to join a number of people network groups as well as be a part of the growing ED&I network.