Based in our London Corporate Tax team, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing a diverse client portfolio, encompassing the delivery of both corporate tax compliance and advisory services. This is a challenging and interesting client facing role, which will include exposure to a range of both UK and international clients.
Our Corporate Tax team deals with a large portfolio of companies operating in a variety of sectors, including manufacturing, technology, retail, recruitment, financial services, hospitality and property. Our clients range from smaller owner-managed businesses to large and complex listed groups.
Frequently dealing with challenging technical issues, the candidate can expect the role to encompass the following areas amongst others:
- Responsibility for the efficient delivery of the tax compliance process including tax accounting;
- Detailed technical research and responding to ad-hoc technical queries from clients and other teams;
- Helping to identify advisory opportunities within the allocated client portfolio;
- Supervising, mentoring, and reviewing the work of junior team members;
- Advising on a range of technical areas such as complex capital allowances claims, R&D tax relief, transfer pricing, Substantial Shareholdings Exemption, Controlled Foreign Companies, Corporate Interest Restriction, Withholding Tax and Double Taxation Relief, with the support of specialist colleagues where required.
For those keen to develop specialist expertise, there is scope to develop a niche in particular industry sectors or technical areas, and to work with the creative sector arm of the team, who advise many of the world’s largest film, TV and video games companies.
There will also be opportunities to work on one-off advisory projects, which typically include:
- Advising on business and property disposals and acquisitions.
- Running and co-ordinating tax due diligence assignments;
- Advising on corporate reorganisations such as demergers and share exchanges, and preparing appropriate HMRC clearance applications;
- Advising on the structuring of UK and international groups;
- EIS and SEIS advance assurance applications and advisory work;
- Advising on employee share incentives (such as EMI share options and growth share plans) and undertaking tax valuations.
The London Corporate Tax team sits within the wider London Tax Group which comprises 12 tax partners and over 80 employees, with the majority being tax professionals.
We offer accounting, audit and assurance, business advisory, corporate finance, forensic and litigation, outsourcing, tax and VAT services. We act for businesses and individuals both in the UK and internationally. Our staff work regularly and closely with their colleagues in our regional offices to provide a seamless service to clients, wherever they are located.
The role would suit an ACA/CTA qualified person with several years post qualification experience in corporation tax.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Strong UK tax technical skills;
- Ability to analyse tax technical queries and provide robust advice and solutions;
- Project management skills, with the ability to plan and prioritise work, meet deadlines and monitor budgets;
- Responsibility for the delivery and quality of work;
- Excellent communication skills;
- A clear client focus with a commitment to building strong client relationships;
- Ability to work collaboratively in different teams;
- Coaching and mentoring skills to develop other team members;
- A willingness to learn with a keen desire to become involved in new areas and to share knowledge.
- A 35-hour working week with flexibility around the core hours of 10am-4pm.
- Agile working policy giving you the option to work from home for up to 3 days per week.
- 25 days annual leave. After 5 years’ service, the entitlement will be increased by 1 day.
- In addition, employees are entitled to buy or sell up to 5 days holiday a year.
- Contributory pension scheme (the firm will contribute 5% of salary on a matched basis with employee from their date of joining).
- Life assurance cover of 4 x annual salary.
- Working from home allowance of £25 a month.
- Company car as per Managers’ Car Scheme. May opt for a company car to the value to £15,100 by sacrificing £3,611 per annum of salary (pro-rata for lower vehicle cost).
- Eligibility for the firm’s Profit-Sharing Plan that runs from October to September each year. The scheme enables staff to share in the profits of the firm. Payment is usually c£1,000. Paid in December.
- Employee referral scheme. Assistant Manager level and below, including support staff, will attract a referral reward of £5,000. Manager level or above, will attract a referral reward of £10,000.
- New client referral scheme. Members of staff introducing a new client to the firm have the potential to receive a referral payment of up to 10% of the first year’s total fees.
- Eligibility for the discretionary bonus scheme. This is based on both individual performance and firm performance.
- Private medical – entitled to join on successful completion of probationary period.
- Access to a number of additional benefits with preferential rates under the flexible benefit programme, including health cash plans, health screening/GP support, critical illness cover, dental and travel insurance, Techscheme, Cyclescheme, Gymflex and a Workplace ISA.
- Paid travel expenses when working at offices other than your contracted office.
- Saffery Champness is committed to being a fully inclusive employer with a focus on ED&I. Upon joining the firm, you will have the opportunity to join a number of people network groups as well as be a part of the growing ED&I network.