Saffery Champness are looking for an efficient Partners’ Secretary to join our Manchester office. You will be supporting four partners and will work alongside two other local admin staff. In this role, you will be providing first-class support to the Partners. You will be the sort of person who is happy to go the extra mile and really wants to make the role your own.
The duties and responsibilities listed below are not intended to be exhaustive and may be extended. The individual may also be required to undertake other duties and responsibilities that may assist with the smooth running of the firm or the Manchester office or with the efficiency or commitments of fee-earners:
- Diary management – arranging external and internal meetings and calls, as well as managing diary conflicts and helping partners with preparation for calendar events.
- Gatekeeper and first point of contact – meeting and greeting in person and over the telephone.
- E-mail management on behalf of Partners with this need – checking, prioritising and summarising e-mails on a daily basis and dealing with correspondence where necessary in the partners’ absence; collation of any action points.
- Collation and preparation of documents – for meetings, letters, letters of engagement, reports, proofing – all in line with the company’s corporate image policy.
- Attending meetings and taking minutes, ensuring that action points are followed up.
- Office management duties to ensure the smooth and efficient running of all aspects of the Manchester office, including liaising with the landlord, contractors and our London based facilities team and ensuring there is adequate physical admin team presence in the office to support the local fee earning teams.
- Booking attendance at meetings, conferences/seminars (including national and international travel) and organising trip itineraries and logistics.
- Taking a proactive approach to building relationships with clients and their secretaries in a professional manner.
- Handling telephone enquiries in a professional and polite manner, taking accurate messages and following up on any agreed actions
- Taking ultimate responsibility for the AML process to include delegation of appropriate tasks to TSAs within the team; tasks include filling in the required data before onward circulation to the relevant case handler; following up on outstanding AML forms and proactive liaison with the AML team.
- Taking ultimate responsibility for partners’ billing – raising bills, running reports and keeping a tracker of what has been sent/paid, reminding partner to send bills out, attend monthly debtor meetings with credit control to follow up and chase debtors
- Expenses and invoicing.
- Keep Partner days running smoothly and keep on top of their workloads – daily catch ups and reminders.
- Maintaining the practice management system (Advance).
- Helping partners organise their papers and confidential filing.
- Production of PowerPoint presentations as may be required.
- Proof-reading of all documents to ensure the delivery of work of the highest quality.
- Carrying out PDF to Word conversions and vice versa.
- Ad hoc support to the other function heads where needed.
- Involvement in committees and steering groups relating to secretarial/administrative support/processes for the wider firm.
- Managing and supervising other members of the local admin team, including coaching and mentoring of other secretarial / support staff.
- Cover support.
The role reports to four Partners.
The individual should be/have:
- Excellent organisational skills – the ability to take responsibility for own tasks and prioritise work in a calm and efficient manner.
- Well-developed time management skills – the ability to work to tight deadlines while maintaining a high standard of accuracy.
- Well-developed communication skills – the ability to communicate in a confident and professional manner with people at all levels within the business.
- Demonstrate flexibility/adaptability in meeting internal and external clients’ demands – in both the nature of the work undertaken and working additional hours as required to complete the task(s).
- Demonstrate proactivity and the ability to work on own initiative.
- Maintain high levels of confidentiality and discretion at all times.
- Reliable with a strong work ethic and a ‘can-do’ approach.
- Acts as a positive role model at all times.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt approach to accommodate the different requirements and working practices of the 4 partners.
- Happy doing basic, repetitive tasks as well the more exciting/challenging parts.
Education and experience
The following experience is required:
- Previous experience as an EA/PA at senior and/or partner level;
- Experience of dealing with highly sensitive and confidential material;
- Excellent proof reading and typing skills;
- Proficient use in all Microsoft packages, knowledge of using financial systems, and;
- Experience of invoicing systems would be highly beneficial.
- 35-hour working week with flexibility around the core hours of 10am-4pm.
- Paid overtime or time off in lieu (pre-approved and only where required).
- Working from home allowance of £25 a month.
- Eligibility for the firm’s Profit-Sharing Plan that runs from October to September each year. The scheme enables staff to share in the profits of the firm. Payment is usually c£1,000 for the full year. Paid in December.
- Salary reviews annually in October.
- Twenty days annual leave with an additional day added after each years’ service.
- In addition, under the flexible benefits programme, employees are entitled to buy or sell up to five days (35 hours) holiday a year. subject to staff partner approval.
- Six-month probationary period.
- Life assurance cover of four times salary.
- Contributory pension scheme (The firm will contribute 4% of salary on a matched basis with employee from their date of joining).
- Access to a number of additional benefits with preferential rates under the flexible benefit programme, which include; health cash plans, health screening/GP support, critical illness cover, dental and travel insurance, Techscheme, Cyclescheme, Gymflex and a Workplace ISA). More information will be provided on joining.