An audit senior is being sought to become part of the Manchester audit team which provides a wide range of audit, advisory, accounting and tax services to our clients and to provide support to the partners and managers.
An audit senior is being sought to become part of the Manchester audit team which provides a wide range of audit, advisory, accounting and tax services to our clients and to provide support to the partners and managers. The mix of work in the team is varied and consists of a few hundred clients including limited companies, partnerships, high net worth individuals and trusts.
In summary, the role can currently be defined approximately as follows:
- 75% lead role on statutory audits;
- 5% preparing financial statements in respect of limited companies, partnerships and trusts;
- 5% preparation of the first draft of the company tax returns for accounts assignments;
- 5% training, marketing and other non-chargeable activities;
- 10% ad hoc projects/reports for the client base.
The successful candidate will be expected to have responsibility for:
- Running audits by leading teams on the ground and reporting directly to the manager and partner.
- The preparation of financial statements (including consolidations), forecast models, business plans, reporting on internal controls, financial due diligence and other ad hoc projects will also be required from time to time;
- Ensuring projects comply with Saffery Champness and applicable professional standards by producing work for the manager and partner review clearly highlighting issues and providing potential solutions to issues identified;
- Identify and understand client needs, including suggesting potential solutions on technical matters;
- Budgeting and monitoring the financial performance of audit assignments and other projects, focusing on optimising recoverability rates;
- Building relationships with the client staff and acting as an ambassador for the firm; and
- Supervise, coach and develop junior members of staff within teams, on client premises and in the office.
The applicant should be able to demonstrate the following skills and behaviours:
- Demonstrate a passion for delivering quality and ensures that client needs are met, benefiting both the client and the firm.
- Defines performance measures and continuously looks to assess, improve and achieve objectives.
- Sets priorities, defines activities, gives responsibilities and plans work so that results are achieved on time.
- Seeks self-development and provides support that enables others to develop within the firm.
- Works cooperatively with others, positively influences them and ensures team participation to support the firm’s goals.
- Thinks widely and laterally to identify and consider different options before determining the best solution.
- Listens to, understands and communicates confidently with others in a clear, concise, polite and purposeful way.
- Motivates self and others to succeed for the benefit of the firm.
We recognise that as individuals, we each have particular needs and that one size doesn’t fit all, when it comes to how, when and where you work. That’s why we believe in putting you at the centre of your career – we will offer the training, development and stimulating work environment to help you get to where your career ambitions are. While you will be required to travel, and at times be based at client sites, we are supportive where possible of helping you to achieve a balance between your home and work demands.
Education and experience
ACA/ACCA qualification or part-qualified with a good exam record. Professional experience should be broad based with exposure to a wide range of clients both in size and sector, although experience of owner managed businesses is preferred.
Previous experience of using computerised audit packages is useful.
- We are able to offer a dynamic and varied workload and excellent prospects for progression.
- Annual salary at market rate depending upon experience.
- Salary review annually in October.
- Paid overtime or time off in lieu.
- 23 days annual leave. In addition, under the flexible benefits programme, employees are entitled to buy or sell up to 5 days holiday a year, subject to partner approval.
- Life assurance cover of three times salary, which you may increase to four times salary under the flexible benefits programme.
- Group Personal Pension Scheme: under the requirements of pension auto-enrolment you will be automatically enrolled into the Group Personal Pension scheme (4% employer contribution, 4% employee contribution).
- Eligibility for the firm’s Profit Sharing Plan that runs from October to September each year. The scheme enables staff to share in the profits of the firm.
- Access to a number of other benefits with preferential rates under the flexible benefits programme, which include; health screening/GP support, critical illness cover and private medical insurance.