We are looking for a bright, motivated and experienced individual to join the Personal tax team as a Senior in our London office.
The London tax department is currently organised into six direct tax groups: one corporate tax team, a VAT team, three personal tax compliance teams and a tax advisory group.
An experienced Senior is being sought to join one of the personal tax compliance groups.
This is a challenging and interesting role which will include exposure to a wide range of clients, often working to tight deadlines. Along with working for the London tax partners, the group provides tax advice to the clients of (non-tax) London partners.
The mix of work in the group is varied and consists of both UK resident and non-resident individuals, non-domiciled individuals, HNW/UHNW individuals, partnerships, trusts and landed estates: also, companies in the context of ATED returns and NRL returns.
The successful applicant will be responsible for their own portfolio of high-net-worth private clients which will include being involved in the day-to-day administration of the portfolio including all aspects of compliance, direct client contact and assisting with ad hoc advisory matters. Reporting will mainly be to the group’s senior manager.
The allocation of work is primarily based around preparation of complex tax returns for private clients and wealthy individuals and the associated advisory work for those clients. In addition to experience in preparing tax returns for individuals, some experience of the following is also desirable (although not required) – trusts (UK and non-UK), capital gains tax, ATED, NRCGT, non-resident landlord companies, partnerships, employment tax, inheritance tax, EIS, crypto assets, residence and domicile experience.
The role provides an excellent range of work for someone with a solid basic tax background wishing to broaden his or her experience with a dedicated private client firm with an enviable client base, and to get involved in helping with planning work.
The successful applicant will be supported by an experienced team who will promote the applicant’s development in different areas within personal tax.
The ideal candidate will be committed to a career in tax and have relevant experience in a general practice firm preferably in a Top 20 firm environment.
The successful applicant will require confidence in dealing with managers and clients, have the ability to use their own initiative and to problem solve. In addition, they will possess good organisational and interpersonal skills, and provide accurate work in a timely and cost-effective manner. With this role, come the pre-requisites that the candidate is motivated, committed and flexible, with the ability to meet deadlines; a natural team player, with a positive and enthusiastic attitude.
Education and Experience
Candidates must be educated to at least ‘A’ level standard and ideally graduate level. He/she should have obtained ATT and be studying for (or have recently obtained) the CTA qualification.
Previous experience of using tax return software is assumed (the firm uses Digita), as is use of Outlook, Word and Excel.
- 35-hour working week with flexibility around the core hours of 10am-4pm.
- Paid overtime or time off in lieu (pre-approved and only where required).
- Agile working policy which includes home working.
- Working from home allowance of £25 a month.
- Eligibility for the firm’s Profit-Sharing Plan that runs from October to September each year. The scheme enables staff to share in the profits of the firm. Payment is usually c£1,000 for the full year. Paid in December.
- Salary reviews annually in October.
- Twenty-five days annual leave with an additional day added after each years’ service. On 1 January, after 1 year’s service, the entitlement will be increased by 7 hours and thereafter by a further 7 hours on 1 January following completion of 2, years’ service, giving a maximum of 175 hours after 2 years’ service.
- In addition, under the flexible benefits programme, employees are entitled to buy or sell up to five days (35 hours) holiday a year, subject to staff partner approval.
- Six-month probationary period.
- Life assurance cover of four times salary,
- Private Medical – Staff have access to a private medical scheme through the flexible benefits programme.
- Contributory pension scheme (The firm will contribute 4% of salary on a matched basis with employee from their date of joining)
- Access to a number of additional benefits with preferential rates under the flexible benefit programme, health cash plans, health screening/GP support, critical illness cover, dental and travel insurance, Techscheme, Cyclescheme, Gymflex and a Workplace ISA.