Liz is head of the Landed Estates team at Saffery Champness and specialises in advising landowners, rural and agricultural businesses, private clients and commercial owner-managed businesses. She has considerable experience of supporting family businesses to enable them to develop and grow, while at the same time dealing with complex succession issues. This mixed portfolio demands a combination of a high level of trust and taxation knowledge, as well as key commercial and audit skills.
Her client base is predominantly in the South of England and her larger clients are the owners and trustees of large estates and family businesses. The key to this type of work is confidentiality, professionalism and commercial acumen. The challenges that these businesses face have increased in recent years due to the complexity of taxation changes and so the involvement of a professional who can give advice to encompass all of the issues is vital if they are to continue to thrive.
Liz regularly lectures at events, most recently on energy efficient investments, tax efficient diversification and other tax and business related matters.
- Restructuring family businesses to maximise the availability of Inheritance Tax reliefs.
- Dealing with and helping to resolve complex family dispute.
- Negotiating the settlement of a complex probate with HMRC, involving mixed-use, business, non-business and agricultural assets.
- Tax efficient investment in renewable energy projects.
- Tax planning work to minimise Capital Gains Tax and inheritance tax exposure on land with development potential.
Liz lives in West Dorset, she is married and both her and her husband are keen supporters of country sports, a former Chairman of the Dorset Committee of the GWCT she particularly enjoys shooting and working and training her dog.