Alison is head of the firm’s VAT services for our charity and not-for-profit clients. Working closely with colleagues in our charity audit practice, Alison is a member of the firm’s Not-for-Profit Practice Group and manages a wide portfolio of charity clients. This includes thirty percent of the top 100 fundraising charities, many household name charities, sports clubs, and charity and not-for-profit umbrella bodies, religious organisations, hospices and approximately twenty different charities within the Wildlife trust network.
Alison manages our wholly dedicated team of charity and not-for-profit VAT specialists. She has contributed articles to Charity Finance Magazine, as well as writing news updates, internal guidance and fact sheets for the sector as a whole. Alison sits on the Charity Tax Group’s VAT expert group and attends observer meetings.
Alison organises the firm’s VAT workshop series for charities and not-for-profit organisations and is a regular speaker at these events. Alison also regularly attends the sector conference on VAT and tax matters and has spoken at the Charity Finance Group and Civil Society VAT & Tax conferences.
Alison joined Saffery Champness in 2003. Her work prior to joining the firm was with HMRC where she was a VAT visiting officer.
- Maximising input VAT recovery for our charity sector clients
- VAT transaction advice and planning on restructures, mergers, collaborative working and grant applications
- VAT planning in respect of charity land and property issues
- Undertaking reviews, health checks and compliance procedures
- Advising on specific VAT liability matters
- Reviewing VAT returns and annual adjustments
- Assisting with HMRC visits and enquiries
- Maximising VAT relief’s for the sector and working to influence change in VAT matters for the sector.
Alison lives in Surrey. She is a trustee for Girlguiding Surrey West and enjoys travelling, baking and singing as her outside interests.