Alison heads the Landed Estates Team in the Harrogate office. Her client base includes significant landed estates (both rural and urban) with wide ranging interests and business activities, agricultural businesses, private trusts, property development and investment companies, a number of privately owned family businesses and family groups.
Her skills base and professional experience have always revolved around the provision of advice to private clients, land and property owners, and rural businesses, providing guidance on all aspects of their taxation, financial and commercial affairs.
Alison brings a practical and straightforward approach to her professional life and she relishes the challenge of solving the interesting tax conundrums that arise in the course of bringing tailored solutions to her clients.
Alison regularly lectures at events, most recently on rural tax matters to the RICS and on Business Asset Disposal Relief opportunities to a group of landowners.
- Advising on the mitigation of capital gains tax liabilities on the disposal of land with development potential and Business Asset Disposal Relief.
- Undertaking detailed inheritance tax reviews for landed estates clients as part of succession planning.
- Creating tax efficient trading vehicles through which to operate green energy schemes.
- Advising on the capital tax implications of an Old Master ‘sleeper’ found in the attic.
- Guiding clients through the tax implications and strategies of the compulsory purchase of land for road widening and flood defences.
- ‘Busting’ private trusts, both onshore and offshore.
- Preparing detailed cash flow reports for management and to raise finance.
- Assisting lawyers in the formation of new charitable and private trusts.
Alison is married with three young sons. When time allows Alison enjoys playing tennis and battling with the weeds and pests on the family’s allotment.