Dermot joined Saffery Champness in October 2017 and is a consultant based in the Harrogate office.
A specialist in the taxation of private clients and private companies, both domestically and internationally, Dermot’s clients have included wealthy individuals and their corporates, global families, family offices, entrepreneurs and trustees.
Most of his 30-year career has been spent at a Big Four firm where he led the national Private Client business. Dermot has led large and complex private company sales, private equity investment and IPOs. He combines experience, innovation and technical skills to meet clients commercial objectives.
Dermot is a recognised authority on taxation, particularly advising high net worth individuals and private companies. He was listed as a Spear’s Top Ten Tax Accountant in 2019. He was called upon as an expert to give evidence to the House of Lords Finance Bill 2016 Select Committee, and has been a judge for the Private Client Asset Manager (PAM) industry awards and the Financial Times/Investors Chronicle.
- Led the firms tax and corporate finance services team on the disposal of a private company for £100m.
- Complex demergers in various situations.
- Advice to management on the sale of a business for £50m to private equity.
- Formation of a new Family Investment Company and family office post sale of a private company.
- Advice on international tax structures for an internationally mobile vendor of a private company.
Dermot is married with two grown up daughters. He is a trustee of Leeds Cares, the charity which supports Leeds hospitals and a trustee of Opera North Future Fund. He loves fell and mountain walking and is also keen on country sports.