Charities and not for profits
Our specialist Charity VAT Team is wholly dedicated to advising charities and other not-for-profit organisations on all aspects of VAT. We have advised many charities which have been successful in pursuing VAT repayments in the VAT Tribunal and courts.
The team is headed up by Russell Moore and Alison Hone uhave a range of clients across different organisations.
We regularly provide the following specialist services for the charity and not-for-profit sector:
- Advising on VAT reliefs and exempt activities for the charity sector.
- Preparing and submitting VAT returns.
- Undertaking partial exemption annual adjustment calculations and charity business/non-business recovery method reviews.
- Charity VAT health checks, including procedure reviews and other similar projects.
- VAT planning on the purchase of new buildings and considering charity VAT reliefs.
- Advising on capital investment programmes and the impact of VAT planning structures for a number of public sector institutions.
- Advising not-for-profit organisations on the effective and efficient management of their VAT affairs, including negotiations of partial exemption and non-business methodologies resulting in significant VAT savings.
- Providing regular news updates on topical issues and responding to focused consultations.
We hold bespoke charity and not-for-profit VAT and tax workshops and conferences on sector-wide issues. Details of our forthcoming events can be found on our events page.
We operate a VAT and Gift Aid helpline service, which any charity or not-for-profit organisation can join. For information on this helpline, please email charityVAT@saffery.com
We are linked to many umbrella organisations, including the NCVO and SCVO. We also have links to sector specific associations, and provide helpline services to members of these organisations at preferential rates.
We work closely with our Not-for-Profit Group, who specialise in tax issues for charities and not-for-profit organisations. For further information on the services they provide, please visit our Not-for-Profit sector page.