Max specialises in advising private clients with assets based predominantly in property, ranging from commercial property to agricultural and sporting estates. Max is both a Chartered Accountant and Chartered Tax Adviser.
Max’s client base comprises primarily property owners; in particular, owners of rural estates and commercial property structures, both investment and trading. Advising owners of rural estates extends to advising families and trustees on tax planning and strategic matters involving all financial and business aspects. This often involves acting as the lead member of the advisory team, consulting with other professional advisers as required.
The nature of advice Max provides to clients generally ranges from strategic tax, structural and financial planning matters, succession, together with general business advice. This requires a detailed knowledge of the role of trusts in the context of succession and wealth protection planning.
Although based in Edinburgh, Max uses the specialist skills across the firm to provide specific advice and services to suit an individual client’s specific needs.
Max joined the firm in 1981, prior to its merger with Champness Cowper the following year. Initially based in the London office, Max relocated to Edinburgh in 1989.
- Advising on individual and corporate international business structures and relocation to alternative jurisdictions.
- Advising on the establishment and restructuring of onshore and offshore property owning unit trusts.
- Restructuring of families’ financial affairs and assets to mitigate taxation to allow family succession.
- Acting as mediator in a dispute between family shareholders.
- Acting as a trustee of a trust involved with a contentious property transaction.
Max lives in Edinburgh with his wife and has three adult daughters. He enjoys travelling extensively, walking and outdoor activities.